Re: non-Debian software on ftp*.*.debian.org mirrors

On Mon, Oct 17, 2016 at 12:55:39PM +0000, Ivan Shmakov wrote:
> 	I'd say that those who can discern Debian non-free from Debian
> 	proper are at low risk of confusing, say, [1] with the "software
> 	[...] endorsed or even produced by Debian."

http://ftp.se.debian.org/ and http://ftp.se.debian.org/mirror/ both
declare that it is a server run by an organisation called ACC at the
Umeå University.

I think the risk of confusion here is highly overstated.

Remember that all mirror sites are donated to Debian: the hardware,
the bandwidth, the hosting, and the sysadmin work to keep it running.
We don't want to make it difficult to donate this kind of stuff to
Debian. Requiring the donators to set up their servers in particular
ways makes it harder to do that. I'd rather risk the tiny chance of
people being confused than people not running Debian mirrors for us.

Besides, if someone is confused, that's an excellent opportunity to
talk to them about what Debian actually is.

--
I want to build worthwhile things that might last. --joeyh