Re: [buildd] unexpected FTBFS on amd64 buildd «binet»

On Sun, Oct 16, 2016 at 02:14:47PM +0000, lumin wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> I encountered an unexpected FTBFS on amd64 that I can't repro.[1]
> And I'd like to ask the list before fixing it by e.g. an binary
> only upload.
>
> My package lua-torch-torch7/experimental fails[2] to build from
> source because of an "illegal instruction" error at the debhelper
> auto test stage. However from that buildlog I can't tell which
> program to blame -- luajit or lua-torch-torch7.
>
> The upstream code indeed contains instruction specific stuff but
> I have never encountered such failure on amd64 architecture.
> Besides, I tested this package with debomatic-amd64[3] and the
> result is quite healthy.
>
> So I have trouble allocating where the source of problem is.
>
> Cosmic ray?

No, bug in your package:

  -DUSE_AVX -msse4.2 -DUSE_SSE4_2 -msse4.1 -DUSE_SSE4_1 -msse3 -DUSE_SSE3 -msse2 -DUSE_SSE2

> My questions:
>
>  * should we suspect the health state of that amd64 buildd
>    machine «binet»?
>  * what should I do next? do a binary-only amd64 upload or
>    request (and how) for a rebuild against that package?

You should fix your package so that it works on the lowest supported
hardware of each port.

Autobuilding is only a small part of the problem, your package would
also not run on many computers that Debian does support.

That means nothing higher than SSE2 on amd64, and no SSE at all on i386.

Similar problems exist in your package on arm* regarding OMAP3/OMAP4/NEON.

cu
Adrian

       "Only a promise," Lao Er said.
                                       Pearl S. Buck - Dragon Seed