Re: When should we https our mirrors?

On 15 October 2016 at 19:03, Paul Tagliamonte <paultag@debian.org> wrote:

> So, the real question:
>
> So, when are we going to push this? If not now, what criteria need to be
> met? Why can't we https-ify the default CDN mirror today?

It is my understanding that in 2016 there is a huge difference between
the following sniffed traffic information:

a) TLS traffic from a server to archive.debian.org host

b) HTTP traffic from a server to archive.debain.org/debian-security/dists/lenny

Since the latter reveals that the system is likely to be susceptible
to every single CVE since Lenny end of life.

I believe the TLS overhead costs are negligible, especially if one
uses ECC keys. The further privacy it buys one, is IMHO, well worth
the effort. I would be in favor of Debian mirrors to auto-enroll into
letsencrypt certs.

--
Regards,

Dimitri.