Re: Adding version constraints in dependencies to avoid bugs

On Thu, Sep 15, 2016 at 06:04:54PM -0400, Scott Kitterman wrote:

> I think it would be simpler and more correct for python-cryptography to
> declare a breaks relationship with python-openssl, e.g. (in the binary control
> stanza for python-cryptography):
>
> Breaks: python-openssl (<< FIRST_NOT_BROKEN_VERSION~)
>
> That should ensure python-openssl is upgraded with python-cryptography without
> having to touch an entire stack of rdepends.

Hello.

I was the one who asked for these build-depends to become versioned.

My rationale for that is in policy when it says that "it must be
possible to build the package when the build-dependencies are met".

If this is not the case it may be argued that the source package is
buggy even if we do not experience the problem ourselves in testing.

After all, Debian-derived distros like Ubuntu, for example, could
inherit this bug from us if they fork unstable and not testing.

Your proposed solution, Scott, seems indeed a lot better than updating
the build-depends of a bunch of packages, and it makes the policy
requirement to be met in a different way, namely, by not allowing
the affected packages to be built with build-dependencies which are
known to be incompatible.

Thomas: Would you take care of filing whatever bug is necessary for
this solution to be implemented?

Thanks a lot.