Re: PIE and static libraries

On 09/12/2016 01:47 AM, Bálint Réczey wrote:
> I have opened a bug to encourage PIC for static libraries in Policy, too.:

Thanks, cool.

Is there any specific reason for not mentioning -fPIE in that request?
That seems like a good middle-ground for static libraries.

Reading up on the subject so far, I got the impression that most static
libraries should be built with PIE, but not necessarily PIC (to allow
building PIE(xecutable)s, but discourage creating shared libraries from
those static ones.)

To be honest, I didn't really check any use-case other than
libsimgear-dev, which I'm concerned about.

Kind Regards

Markus Wanner