Re: Network access during build

Vincent Bernat writes ("Network access during build"):
> The fix is easy: just disable the test.
>
> However, I have a hard time to find this useful for anyone. To sum up:
>
>  - patching the test suite requires maintaining the patch forever

If it is hard to maintain such a trivial patch forever, then our
processes are entirely wrong.

>  - both pbuilder and sbuild are using an isolated network namespace

This is doesn't necessarily help with package builds done in other
contexts (eg by a user for development).  And it is not true at all on
non-Linux kernels.

>  - package builds reproducibly with or without network access

You have not addressed the information leak.

> I have the impression that enforcing every word of the policy in the
> hard sense can bring endless serious bugs. This particular occurrence
> affected about 70 packages. I appear as a bad maintainer because I don't
> feel this is an important bug.
>
> Any thoughts?

I'm disappointed that you are willing to put so much effort into not
fixing something which you do seem to accept is a bug.

Ian.