Re: Network access during build

On Wed, Sep 07, 2016 at 07:17:20AM +0200, Vincent Bernat wrote:
> The fix is easy: just disable the test.
>
> However, I have a hard time to find this useful for anyone. To sum up:

As a counterpoint, it's useful to prevent others from wondering why
the build attempts to access the network. In this case, the attempted
access is, I think, borderline acceptable, but overall, I'd be in
favour off disabling it anyway.

>  - patching the test suite requires maintaining the patch forever

Alternatively, you can work with upstream to either do the test so
that it doesn't require external network access, or can be disabled.

I suspect the best approach would be to insert code to use a test
dummy of some sort for all DNS tests, so that the results can be
properly controlled.

>  - package builds reproducibly with or without network access

From the bug log I got the impression that the lookup is for "fail",
and that the test fails if that name is defined. I've had a machine
that was named fail (the hardware was not very reliable). Just a data
point.

--
I want to build worthwhile things that might last. --joeyh