Re: GPL debate on kernel mailing list

On 09/05/2016 11:10 PM, Theodore Ts'o wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 30, 2016 at 12:09:35PM +0200, Zlatan Todorić wrote:
>> For years and years companies are using community hard work and creating
>> their "great" products without turning back....
>>
>> People all over the world created Free software for decades and just
>> small number of those people got employed to work on Free software for
>> living...
>
> This is one of these myths that gets repeated over and over again, but
> it's a bit of a distortion of reality.  If you look at the actual data
> of who actually contributes to the Linux kernel[1], engineers employed by
> companies contribute over 80% of the changes.  Consultants are 2.6%,
> and hobbyists are somewhere between 7.7% and 14.5% (6.8% of the
> commits are authored by people where it's not clear whether their work
> is supported by a company or not).

You're just fueling myths you stand behind for some reason. You take
data from one year (did you even verify it on your own?) and you don't
look at historical development of situation. While I can pull out data
that will easily throw out of door your point I will just go a bit
through development. Companies didn't care for Linux and only wanted
profit from it. GNU and Linux where spearheaded by volunteers, by fun
and most of companies didn't look at it. They started looking when
volunteers made it very competitive, they started employing some of them
to continue such work but mostly not. Most company contributions happen
because someone who came from Free software background pushed this
inside company and yet to date we don't have a major Free software
company (RedHat could be called a major open source company).

Microsoft had attitude of calling Linux "cancer and communism". Do you
think they nowdays contribute because to open source because they really
like it. No, they were loosing edge, and most contributions from
companies to open source happen because they are loosing edge. And even
today they show a lot of hostile approach when they can - by suddenly
not releasing documentation, by introducing non-free firmware. Creating
enterprise editions with nonfree code etc.

There must be awareness that even if they today contribute most of code
(it would be interesting to pull out entire data or data for few first
years where probably volunteers made 80%-90% and then just throw such
statistic at you and talk about distortion of reality) it is not because
they are good community citizens that understand the philosophy. And I
am fairly sure that most of their dormant projects where only good
because community gave a lot of love and care after it was killed
mainstream. So even if they produce most of the code today, they are
still hostile to GPL and entire philosophy.

> [1] Linux Kernel Development: How Fast It is Going, Who is Doing It,
> What They are Doing, and Who is Sponsoring It, 2016.   http://goo.gl/QKbJ5Q
>
> I suspect if you take a look at how many of the commits that go into
> gcc or LLVM, you would see a similar dynamic.
>

> So the debate is really about whether or not the companies versus "the
> community" is really an accurate, or for that matter, healthy, way of
> looking at things.

The discussion started because of thoughts about companies abusing GPL
and community is the one that suffers from it as result. Users loose
their Freedom and that is the major point why we do work here in Debian.
Or am I at wrong place?

> It's far more accurate to say that the companies are *part* of the
> community, and we need to encourage all members of the community,
> whether they are individuals or corporations, to live up to the
> community norms.  (And some cases, that means teaching a student at a
> two-year college in Toronto that taking credit for other people's work
> and sending patches that haven't been tested, and in some cases, don't
> even compile, to users who are asking for help on a bug tracker isn't
> cool.  And in other cases, it might be convincing companies and
> individuals who ship VM images that they need to include source.)

It is not at all accurate to state such thing. Companies invade
communities with their money, marketing and so on, they rarely engage
with community in a healthy matter if at all. I agree that we need to
encourage companies to live up to the community norms, but that will not
happen while they violate GPL (basically breaking the foundation of that
norm). We don't need to convince them, that is why there is GPL. They
are free to choose other license such as BSD/MIT and not violate it with
their (nonfree) work.

>> I don't know is it a time for GPLv4 which will explain to all
>> corporations that THIS LICENSE mean you must participate with
>> community...  ...and not engage that only way to achieve is by lies,
>> manipulation, abuse, FUD, secrets.
>
> In my opinion, this kind of Manichean attitude is not an accurate
> description of reality, and it's really not helpful.

While I understand and support that language on list is English, I don't
see the need to throw some non-common references to describe someones
attitude. And you either tried to play smart and show how I am bringing
this into moral discussion, but you failed as this all started because
of fact that companies are violating GPL and we aren't protecting it as
community. (but hey, thanks, I at least found about about some religion,
not sure if helpful but certainly more info for my brain).

I, and I believe a lot of people, learned through years what politics
companies have. It is their (violent profit) way or the highway.
--
Zlatan Todorić
Proud Debian Developer

  .''`.