Re: Mass bug filing: use and misuse of dbus-launch (dbus-x11)

On Sun, 04 Sep 2016 at 19:24:09 +0100, Jonathan de Boyne Pollard wrote:
> You think that a good "replacement directory" is /run/user/$EUID .  Alright.
> Then when your program is told address=unix:runtime=yes and there's no
> XDG_RUNTIME_DIR, please make it fall back to using the directory that you
> think is the advisable directory to use.

No, I think that /run/user/$EUID is a good choice for the OS infrastructure
(systemd-logind or equivalent) to make. D-Bus implementations are merely
one specific user of XDG_RUNTIME_DIR; it is not their place to
set a specific interpretation of how to fall back when this variable
is unset, and it is not their place to define semantics for /run/user,
a directory that you will notice does not mention dbus or D-Bus anywhere
in its name.

D-Bus implementations should use the XDG per-uid runtime directory as a
rendezvous point *if* that directory is going to have all the required
properties (specified lifetime guarantee, cleaned up automatically
on logout, etc.). OS infrastructure can signal that it provides those
properties for a directory, and indicate what the right directory is,
by arranging for that environment variable to be in user processes'
environments. If you want to use interoperable protocols that rely on
XDG_RUNTIME_DIR, set an XDG_RUNTIME_DIR, otherwise your protocol is not
going to be interoperable.

You are writing to the mailing list for the development of Debian, in a
thread about the src:dbus source package and how the rest of Debian should
interact with it. The dbus binary package deliberately does not *require*
the user-bus model, for the reasons I outlined in the mass bug filing;
the dbus-user-session source package does require the user-bus model,
but it also depends on packages that ensure that $XDG_RUNTIME_DIR is set.
Everything else is not relevant to Debian, until/unless it is in Debian.

[1] https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/pkgreport.cgi?users=dbus@packages.debian.org;tag=dbus-launch-unless-dsba