Subjects and threads

Adam D. Barratt:

> I'm sure I'm not the only one irritated by this,

Then you should be looking at the Debian software that drives https://lists.debian.org/ , which seriously mucks up subject processing, and not at us poor users who are long-suffering under it. Debian software gets References: wrong, too; which is in fact the way that one recognizes replies. See RFC 2822 §3.6.5, which points out that Re: is not what you think it is and describes just some of the processing that Debian software is not doing (Try subjects with reserved punctuation characters for even more fun!), and RFC 2822 §3.6.4, which talks about replies and the References: header.

* https://jdebp.eu./Proposals/gnksoa-mua.html#ProperThreading

If you had directed your irritation to the bug area for the Debian software rather than at the poor Debian software end-users, you would have found that several bugs about some of these very things were filed years ago, and remain unfixed to this day. As a Debian Developer, you could probably fix these bugs.