Debian Hurd installer fixed since 2014?

Richard Braun:

Note that installing a mail transfer agent on an isolated system actually makes sense. It's one way between local users to communicate, and it's used by apt to notify you about some important changes when you install/upgrade packages. Besides, it's a pure Debian thing, unrelated to the Hurd.

It doesn't make sense on a system where I am the sole local user and I can see the installation notices on the screen right in front of me when I am doing such upgrades. It's related to the Hurd inasmuch as the Debian installer *makes it impossible for us users to install Debian Hurd*. That approach to this is backwards. Considering exim to be mandatory, even on a system with no networking, one user, and no need whatsoever for anything other than some C++ development tools, results in the installer failing when it tries to configure exim and Debian Hurd to be uninstallable by design. Whereas considering exim to be optional (which seems very likely given that there's a checkbox in the Debian installer where "mail" can be deselected) means that this is, rather, an installer problem (of some sort: I'm not ruling out the possibility that it was secretly doing something else when it said that it was configuring exim on the screen.) to be corrected.