Re: Is missing SysV-init support a bug?

On Fri, Aug 26, 2016 at 12:11:13AM +0200, Sven Hartge wrote:
> I just saw the new conntrack-tools (1:1.4.4-2) package in Sid, which
> has as a change
>
>   * [917beed] conntrackd: get rid of the sysvinit support
>
> and I wondered, if this is a bug (and at what severity) or not.

Hi, something similar was discussed in history already, and appears to
be an issue whenever more than one init scheme comes into play, not
releated to systemd specifically

 https://bugs.debian.org/422139#86

My suggestion was and still is to separate services from programs on the
package level, see

and

 https://bugs.debian.org/422139#151

I was not successful to convince fellows back then.

With having support for more than one init scheme, either all need to
implement the same interface (e.g. init scripts), or maintainers of
packages providing a service need to implement and possibly maintain
integrations into multiple init schemes.  Obvisiously that's not what's
desired.  Separating this integrations into different packages separates
personal resposibilities, interest, implementation and maintainance
effort.

Regards, Gerrit.