Re: [MBF] Obsoleting Source-Version substvar

Hi!

On Sun, 2016-07-10 at 02:16:21 +0200, Guillem Jover wrote:
> I'd like to obsolete the ${Source-Version} substvar, which has very
> misleading semantics, and has been deprecated since dpkg 1.13.19 in
> 2006-05-04. This currently emits warnings from various dpkg-dev
> scripts and from lintian.
>
> <https://lintian.debian.org/tags/substvar-source-version-is-deprecated.html>
>
> I'm attaching the prospective dd-list, and the template bug report. I'd
> like do the MBF in 1 or 2 weeks, and turn the warnings into errors in
> the first dpkg release after 1 or 2 months from now. I'm easy if people
> would like more or less time?

Thanks to the maintainers that already fixed their packages! I handled
most of the QA team packages, except for libsigc++-1.2 which we should
probably try to remove instead as it only has one remaining rdep.

I've done the MBF [M], and I'm planning on turning the substvar usage
warning into an error in the first dpkg release happening after two weeks
from now, at which point I'll upgrade the remaining bugs to serious.

  [M] <https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/pkgreport.cgi?tag=dpkg-obsolete-source-version-substvar;users=debian-dpkg@lists.debian.org>

Thanks,
Guillem