Re: TMPDIR - Do we also need a drive backed TPMDIR ?

On Thu, 2016-07-21 at 17:19 +0530, Ritesh Raj Sarraf wrote:

> I am not sure if there's an fd.o defined standard for environment variables,
> but
> a quick web search pointed to the IEEE and Open Group link.
> http://pubs.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/9699919799/basedefs/V1_chap08.html
>
> None of the standards talk about where TMPDIR should be pointing to. On
> GNU/Linux, I recollect it pointing to /tmp and always wondered what
> environment
> variable would point to /var/tmp

Some more search pointed the following link that talks about /var/tmp

http://www.pathname.com/fhs/pub/fhs-2.3.html#VARTMPTEMPORARYFILESPRESERVEDBETWEE

To quote:

/var/tmp : Temporary files preserved between system reboots

Purpose

The /var/tmp directory is made available for programs that require temporary
files or directories that are preserved between system reboots. Therefore, data
stored in /var/tmp is more persistent than data in /tmp.

Files and directories located in /var/tmp must not be deleted when the system is
booted. Although data stored in /var/tmp is typically deleted in a site-specific
manner, it is recommended that deletions occur at a less frequent interval than
/tmp.