Re: wiki about block alignment issues

On Fri, Jul 15, 2016 at 10:02:36AM +0200, Daniel Pocock wrote:

> I've started a wiki about block alignment issues:
>
> https://wiki.debian.org/DiskBlockAlignment
>
> Can anybody comment on specific packages / tools that may help people
> investigate or update their systems, maybe adding links to the wiki?

When you use the fdisk command, maybe it's better to use "u" instead of
"x" before running the "p" command.

Also, disks lie. It is safer to align everything to a large value, say 1
MB like fdisk does nowadays, unless you are really on an embedded system
where every byte counts.

Then there's SSDs. Apart from having a sector size like harddisks have,
there is also the concept of erase blocks, which are typically much
larger than sector sizes. Though I don't know if this is important with
contemporary SSDs.

Last but not least, shingled magnetic recording harddisks. I assume that
if you partition them, you want to align the partitions to shingle
bands.

Hdparm does not work on all types of drives, you might need sdparm or
nvme instead. The "nvme list" command shows all NVMe drives, including
their "format", which looks to me like it's the number of bytes per
sector. I don't know how to use sdparm to get this information.

      Guus Sliepen <guus@debian.org>