deb.debian.org [was: Re: howto avoid "apt-get update" going guru?]

[Please CC me on replies.]

Tollef Fog Heen wrote:
> ]] Josh Triplett
> > Tollef Fog Heen wrote:
> > > I personally recommend using deb.debian.org.
> >
> > That works nicely, thanks!  Seems to have decent performance.
> >
> > I couldn't find any announcement or documentation of this, other than
> > that on the site itself, though I did find a use of it in a recent
> > announcement of dbgsym packages.
>
> It's somewhat in beta yet.  I should probably write up an announcement
> about it.

Ah, that makes sense.  I look forward to the announcement.

When you make the announcement, can you include a link to the details of
the CDN, such as the extent of its caching servers?  That would help
people determine if using it will likely produce good results for them.

> > Does the CDN this uses download and cache packages on first request?
> > Because I noticed when testing it that if I requested a package
> > reasonably unlikely to have already been fetched, it would hang at "0%
> > [Waiting for headers]" for a long time (minutes).  But if I reattempted
> > that same package later, it would download just fine.
>
> This was a bug and should be fixed now.  (It downloads on first request,
> but it streams, so there should not be a big initial delay.)

Out of curiosity, what was the bug?

- Josh Triplett