Re: Thinking about a "jessie and a half" release

On Tue, 2016-07-05 at 00:38 +0200, Ben Hutchings wrote:
> As I understand it, xserver-xorg-video-modesetting should be used
> instead of xserver-xorg-video-intel, for chips supported by the i915
> kernel driver.  So the latter should be changed to limit the device
> IDs it claims, then both of them should be backported.

Currently 4.6.0 doesn't work with skylake for me when I plug in a
3440x1440 monitor on a Dell XPS 9550, both with and without xserver-
xorg-video-intel installed.  It never has worked reliably on any kernel
version.  Currently, the monitor works maybe 20% of the time - so if
you persist for 5 boots you've got a reasonable chance of getting
lucky. The only noticeable change from 4.5 to 4.6 is in the kernel
backtraces produced - they have got fewer, and they are only warnings
now.

So from my point of view Intel still hasn't produced a working kernel
driver for hardware they released a year ago.  I sincerely hope they
get the thing stable before we get to stretch, but to date progress has
been very slow.