Re: Thinking about a "jessie and a half" release

On 2016-07-04 15:12, Cyril Brulebois wrote:
Steve McIntyre <steve@einval.com> (2016-07-04):
There's something I've been pondering for a while, along with some
other folks - it might be useful to do a "jessie and a half" release,
similarly to what we did in the etch days. That's *basically* just
like a normal jessie release, but with a few key updates:

 * backports kernel

That's a given.

Does that mean "kernel from backports"? How would we keep that working given that backports keeps changing? Would we copy the kernel at the time into a special suite? How would updates work?

That is to mean: I can see how this would work as a sort of continuously built thing whenever the kernel in backports changes and the supporting d-i changes are committed. But in the terms of a release seems to be a little hard.

 * rebuilt d-i to match that kernel

You know there are patches around for that.

 * X drivers

I don't see backports for them.

Would it also mean X proper or "just" drivers?

Kind regards
Philipp Kern