Re: Vcs-* and shared repos

Quoting Lars Wirzenius (2016-05-26 08:08:35)
> On Wed, May 25, 2016 at 10:09:47PM +0200, Stefano Zacchiroli wrote:
>> By also considering the fact that the "-d DIR" solution does not
>> prevent to add a "-l" in the future, I think minimality wins here
>> (hence my "Yay" to your proposal in separate mail). YMMV.
>
> My only concern here is the introduction of yet more ad hoc, custom
> syntax into Debian data files. It's already annoying to parse such
> files, and every addition makes things more annoying. I dream of an
> alternative universe where Debian standardised on something like YAML
> or JSON for its data files. RFC822 style files weren't a bad choice,
> but I find them to be insufficiently extensible without pain.
>
> But in this reality, we've made our choice and we'll have to stick
> with it, so go for it.

I just noticed that SPDX - whom we already align with for naming of
license shortnames - in their specifications include VCS URL format
which covers paths and tags:

> To specify a sub-path to a file or directory inside a repository use
> the "#" delimiter:
> PackageDownloadLocation: git://git.myproject.org/MyProject#src/somefile.c
> PackageDownloadLocation: git+https://git.myproject.org/MyProject#src/Class.java
> To specify branch names, a commit hash or a tag name, use the "@"
> delimiter:
> PackageDownloadLocation: git://git.myproject.org/MyProject.git@master
> PackageDownloadLocation: git+https://git.myproject.org/MyProject.git@v1.0
> PackageDownloadLocation: git://git.myproject.org/MyProject.git@da39a3ee5e6b4b0d3255bfef95601890afd80709
> Sub-paths and branch names or commit hash can be combined too:
> PackageDownloadLocation:
> git+https://git.myproject.org/MyProject.git@master#/src/MyClass.cpp
> PackageDownloadLocation: git+https://git.myproject.org/MyProject@da39a3ee5e6b4b0d3255bfef95601890afd80709#lib/variable.rb

Found in section 3.7.5 of SPDX 2.0 PDF, located at
http://spdx.org/SPDX-specifications/spdx-version-2.0

 - Jonas