Re: DEB_BUILD_MAINT_OPTIONS=hardening=+pie breaks shared library builds

On Sat, May 21, 2016 at 01:32:19PM -0400, Theodore Ts'o wrote:
> If the pie hardening option is enabled, then dpkg-buildflags --get
> LDFLAGS emits:
>
> 	-fPIE -pie -Wl,-z,relro
>
> According to the dpkg-buildflags man page:
>
>        LDFLAGS
>               Options passed to  the  compiler  when  linking  executables  or
>               shared objects
>
> Unfortunate the linker will blow up if -fPIE is specified:
It is documented in dpkg-buildflags(1): "This is not compatible with -fPIC
so care must be taken when building shared objects."

> Should I file a bug against dpkg-buildflags?  Or the
> hardening-includes package?
hardening-includes is not related to the dpkg-buildflags hardening.

> What is the suggested workaround if you
> have a package that has both executables and shared libraries, and you
> want to enable pie hardening for the executables?
Unfortunately I don't remember if there are any sane ways to work around
this.

--
WBR, wRAR