wheezy->jessie upgrades, invoke-rc.d glitches

I've noticed that during wheezy->jessie upgrades, the gmond restarts are
not working correctly

I looked at a machine with this problem today and observed that:

- during the dist-upgrade process and up to the point when I rebooted,
the invoke-rc.d command could not start the gmond process

# invoke-rc.d ganglia-monitor start ; echo $?
Starting Ganglia Monitor Daemon: invoke-rc.d: initscript
ganglia-monitor, action "start" failed.
1

- during that same period of time, I could use the init script directly
to start and stop and restart:

# /etc/init.d/ganglia-monitor start
Starting Ganglia Monitor Daemon: gmond
# ps ax | grep gmond
 5817 ?        Ssl    0:00 /usr/sbin/gmond --pid-file /var/run/gmond.pid

- after a reboot, the invoke-rc.d command was working normally too

As I use invoke-rc.d from the postinst scripts in ganglia-monitor[1] and
ganglia-modules-linux[2], I'm keen to resolve this, otherwise people see
something like the errors below.

Do I need to ensure other things are (re)started for systemd to be in a
friendly state before my own postinst scripts do things?

Should I suppress the errors in my postinst scripts so that dist-upgrade
appears to finish cleanly?

Regards,

Daniel

Setting up ganglia-monitor (3.6.0-6) ...
Starting Ganglia Monitor Daemon: invoke-rc.d: initscript
ganglia-monitor, action "start" failed.
dpkg: error processing package ganglia-monitor (--configure):
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of ganglia-modules-linux:
 ganglia-modules-linux depends on ganglia-monitor; however:
  Package ganglia-monitor is not configured yet.

dpkg: error processing package ganglia-modules-linux (--configure):
 ganglia-monitor
 ganglia-modules-linux

1.
http://anonscm.debian.org/cgit/pkg-monitoring/ganglia.git/tree/debian/ganglia-monitor.postinst