Re: Update Debian policy for Multi-Arch

+++ Simon McVittie [2016-05-03 12:25 +0100]:
> On Tue, 03 May 2016 at 11:23:40 +0200, Francois Gouget wrote:

> A mass-bug-filing or mass-patch-attaching to make libraries and development
> packages Multi-arch: same would be more in line with how things like this
> usually go.

There has already been a _lot_ of 'please multiarch this' bugs filed
(often with patches), although it's not mostly been does as an
explicit mass-filing. -dev packages much less so because often it's
harder and the existing spec encouraged people not to bother.

> Note that for the subset of development packages that contain
> architecture-specific binaries in $PATH (most commonly "foo-config"), it is
> not trivial to switch to Multi-arch: same without breaking existing
> reverse-dependencies.

The foo-config thing is a real pain, which is indeed holding up
various packages. We should agree Debian best-practice for these and
then start implementing it (and of course put it in policy
:-). Debconf session anyone?

This is the page that documents 'multiarchification' pratice for packagers:
https://wiki.debian.org/Multiarch/Implementation

put helpful advice there.

Wookey
http://wookware.org/