Re: Debian has no generalised mechanism for contacting users of packages

Hey,

On 29/04/16 06:54, Paul Wise wrote:
> I was thinking about how Debian does not have mechanisms for contacting
> users of particular packages for help with testing particular changes,
> for example invasive security fixes or new upstream releases.
>
> Some options I can think of:
> A tag on the package tracker people could subscribe to.
> Filing bugs tagged help and having how-can-i-help show that to users.

If we choose a specific tag for this, how-can-i-help can present those
requests in a new section (that can be manipulated in the same way any
other bug type section can).

> A new system for this or an extension to the package tracker for users
> to register themselves to particular packages and particular kinds of
> mails (testing on arch foo, security fix testing, etc).

If we have a way to distinguish those bugs (i.e. by a specific tag),
how-can-i-help can show those requests to everyone, including people who
don't currently use specific package but want to help with it. We are
already doing something similar with 'infrastructure' bugs. You could
subscribe either to every bug of this type or restrict it to specific
packages.

On 29/04/16 08:00, Paul Wise wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 29, 2016 at 1:47 PM, Marc Haber wrote:
>> One would need a mechanism to automatically subscribe to all packages
>> that are installed on a machine.
>
> That sounds a bit like the how-can-i-help based solution.

Yup. At the moment, how-can-i-help checks for installed packages and add
some infrastructure (pseudo) ones. But I can add an option to specify
'watched' packages.

Regards,
T.