Re: Overall bitrot, package reviews and fast(er) unmaintained package removals

Brian May writes ("Re: Overall bitrot, package reviews and fast(er) unmaintained package removals"):
> In the past I have maintained some important packages by doing regular
> NMUs when the maintainer is not responsive (including emails asking to
> take over the package). So just because the *maintainer* hasn't made an
> upload in a long time doesn't mean that nobody cares about the package.

I think if you email the listed maintainer offering to take over the
package, and get no reply, you should consider salvaging the package.

That is, email debian-devel and the maintainer (again) with a very
respectful mail saying you think the package needs help, that you're
happy to help, and that unless the current maintainer objects you will
add yourself to Maintainers and start work on the backlog.

Ian.