Re: Overall bitrot, package reviews and fast(er) unmaintained package removals

On 7 Apr 2016, at 10:52 AM, Ben Hutchings <ben@decadent.org.uk> wrote:

> Given the low quality and lack of unit tests in many scientific
> applications, how confident can we be that the 'old' packages (that
> have now built with newer toolchains and libraries) actually still
> produce the same results they used to?  If we are not, even that
> historic value is lost.

Full archive rebuilds are done every so often.  The switchover to the gcc-5 toolchain
was an example and everything was rebuilt at least once during that time.  My understanding
is that packages are dropped if they don't build in this case, and no-one steps up to fix them
within a reasonable (months) period of time.

Tim.