Re: Debian package on Windows

Quoting Paul Wise (2016-03-31 08:42:58)
> On Thu, Mar 31, 2016 at 2:38 PM, Johannes Schauer wrote:
> > It looks mightily impressive! When I read about this originally I didn't
> > find a link with so many details and even screenshots - thanks for that! It
> > seems they can even run apt (and thus dpkg) with this "reversed wine" :D
>
> Seems like it is fairly different to Wine, more like the BSDs' Linux
> syscall emulation layers or qemu-user's cross-arch syscall translation.

you are right. Calling it a "reversed wine" doesn't do the wine project enough
justice who had to reimplement tons of windows libraries from scratch and
without being able to see the source ever.

This solution does not need to reimplement any library functions, as they can
take everything from the unpacked Ubuntu rootfs and then "just" need to handle
the Linux systemcalls correctly.

cheers, josch