Re: Debian package on Windows

On 30 March 2016 at 14:52, Paul Wise <pabs@debian.org> wrote:
On Mon, Feb 22, 2016 at 10:05 PM, Jonathan Dowland wrote:

> I think your message would be better addressed to the debian-devel mailing
> list, who I have copied in to this reply so that more Debian Developers are
> aware of it.  (There's also the Apt developer's mailing list at the
> harder-to-discover deity@lists.debian.org who I have not copied in, as they are
> likely all on -devel anyway)
>
> Personally (although I am not an Apt developer) I think it sounds like an
> interesting idea, and there is some precedent as APT was the basis of the
> "Fink" package management system for Apple Mac OS X.  Not re-inventing the
> wheel is a very good idea, lots of package management problems have been
> discovered and solved with APT already (and it's sad to see things like Ruby
> gems, Go packages etc. re-discover the very same problems over and over again)

Looks like Microsoft went with a Linux syscall emulation layer for the
Windows kernel:

http://blog.dustinkirkland.com/2016/03/ubuntu-on-windows.html

Something like this:

http://www.zdnet.com/article/microsoft-and-canonical-partner-to-bring-ubuntu-to-windows-10/

Sounds super cool! Finally the "year of Linux on Desktop"!   lol

I would like to play with this, for sure...

:-D