Re: a poll for Dgit workflows

On Wed, Mar 23 2016, Marco d'Itri wrote:

> On Mar 23, Ian Jackson <ijackson@chiark.greenend.org.uk> wrote:
>
>> Obviously, for dgit to be useful, it has to define a standard
>> interchange format.  That format has to be patches-applied because
>> otherwise naive users can't work with the source code properly.
> Having the alleged needs of naive users dictate the design of our tools
> looks like a very bad choice to me...

        That would be correct, it it were only true ....

> I want something that is useful to me, not to mythical random naive
> users who may want to work on Debian packages without understanding the
> basics of how they are created.

        I think dgit should address the needs of all kinds of people,
 as it does not. Not all the people who disagree with you are mythic
 (though I quite like the appelation).

        I appreciate the fact that dgit does indeed do things that are
 useful to me. Thanks, Ian.

>> But that doesn't necessarily mean that a maintainer who likes to work
>> with patches-unapplied trees has to change their workflow to use dgit.
> No, I do not want to have patches-applied *repositories*.

        Sure. I do. Always have. Now er both have opinions, but I doubt
 mere opinions are useful to the rest of the readers here.

>> I have a work-in-progress dgit branch which will convert,
>> automatically, a patches-unapplied branch, to a patches-applied
>> branch, during dgit push.  The maintainer never has to look at the
>> patches-applied branch, but it appears on the dgit git server for
>> other dgit users to see.
> I am not sure of what benefits dgit would bring to me if I am not going
> to use the repositories that it creates.

        I don’t think there is a contention that dgit is for everyone. I
 think it offers  a useful publication medium; and if it allos other
 people to work with developers who do or do not prefer the repositories
 to reflect the tree the software is actually built from, then it is a
 net plus.

        manoj

--
Life is like an egg stain on your chin -- you can lick it, but it still
won't go away.