Re: Possible MBF: Packages depending on iceweasel but not firefox/firefox-esr

On Sun, 20 Mar 2016 at 11:43:54 +0100, Jakub Wilk wrote:
> Also, why there are two firefox* packages, and what's the difference between
> them? (They have identical descriptions...)

As far as I understand it (not a Mozilla maintainer):

firefox-esr is the Extended Support Release version
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Firefox#Extended_Support_Release>,
which works like Ubuntu LTS: a subset of releases are designated as
long-term-supported, and the rest have a shorter support lifetime.

firefox-esr will only receive major-version updates when the supported ESR
version changes, like the iceweasel packages in current stable. firefox
will track all releases, including the short-term-supported ones like 46;
it has an artificial RC bug to stop it from entering testing, because
the non-ESR releases aren't supportable in stable.

The first version of Firefox that returned to Debian, 45, is an ESR
version. Whenever the latest release happens to be ESR, the firefox and
firefox-esr packages will coincide.