Mass filing wish list bugs against package depending on dbconfig-common [WAS: Re: dbconfig-common: near future change in dependency stack]

Hi all,

The new style dbconfig-common packages live already for some time in the
archive, and I haven't received any complaint/bug yet about the database
dependent packages. This means that I believe it is time to bug the
maintainers of packages that depend on dbconfig-common with a wish list
bug to change their dependencies to the right package.

Because there are lots of packages involved, I want to share my proposed
report here and check that there are no objections.

Please find my proposed text attached, as well as a dd list for the
maintainers involved (ironic note, I'm on the list myself).

I'd love to hear your comments.

Paul
Title: please depend on database specific dbconfig-<dbtype> package instead of dbconfig-common

Dear maintainer,

Your package depends on dbconfig-common. Some time ago I introduced database
type specific packages in the dbconfig framework. I announced this on
debian-devel¹. Now it is time to request you to change the dependency of your
package to depend on the dbconfig-<dbtype> packages matching the database(s)
that your package supports. For the convenience of system administrators that
don't want dbconfig-common to handle the database handling, I also introduced a
package called dbconfig-no-thanks, which will prevent dbconfig-common from
doing anything (just like answering no to the first dbconfig-common
question). You should always have dbconfig-no-thanks as an (last) alternative to
the dbconfig-<dbtype> package(s).

So, how to make use of these new packages? The only change you have to do² is
revisit your (pre-)dependencies/recommends/suggest. If you properly followed the
dbconfig-common documentation, you have a dependency on dbconfig-common and at
least a recommends (but probably a depends) on the command-line client(s) for
the database type(s) you support. You should replace these with a depends on
dbconfig-<dbtype> | dbconfig-no-thanks. Two examples.

a) your package supports PostgreSQL, your dependencies now are
Depends: dbconfig-pgsql | dbconfig-no-thanks

b) your package supports sqlite3 or sqlite, your dependencies now are
Depends: dbconfig-sqlite3 | dbconfig-sqlite | dbconfig-no-thanks

If you don't need the command-line databse client for your package itself,
i.e. you only added it because dbconfig-common needs it, you can now remove
that as well, because now the <dbtype> packages take care themselves.

For those of you that backport their packages via the Debian backports achive,
I provide backports of dbconfig-common to jessie-backports. On request I can do
the same with wheezy-backports-sloppy.

For those of you that also provide packages elsewhere where you may not have
dbconfig-common version 2.0.0 or higher, I can recommend the trick done by
phpmyadmin:
dbconfig-mysql | dbconfig-no-thanks | dbconfig-common (<< 2.0.0)

Paul

¹ https://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2015/12/msg00044.html
² Be aware, if your package supports multiple databases, you still need
to set the dbc_dbtypes variable in you config script.
Alexander Wirt <formorer@debian.org>
   icinga (U)
   icinga-web (U)
   icinga2 (U)