Re: How to deal with "assets" packages shadowing real upstream

Quoting Paul Wise (2016-02-29 04:30:02)
> On Mon, Feb 29, 2016 at 5:05 AM, Antonio Terceiro wrote:
>
>> IMO both in this specific case, and in the general case, the correct
>> technical decision is to track the actual upstream as a proper
>> Javascript package (supporting both browser usage and NodeJS, if it
>> makes sense), and make the convenience packages for other languages
>> use and depend on the proper Javascript one.

Do I read you correctly that in your opinion it _is_ a severe bug to not
follow the actual upstream when available.  I would agree with that.

So what next?  Do I simply try assume it is a severe bug even if not
written into Policy yet, and see if others agree with that - enough that
eventually we can conclude that yes this should probably be written into
Policy?

>> I think this situation is exactly the same as convenience copies of C
>> libraries: we always want to have a single copy of each library in
>> the archive, first because of security updates, but also to keep some
>> level of sanity. In most cases we will be able to do that, and in a
>> few cases we will have to make -- temporary, one hopes -- exceptions.
>
> Agreed. In the case of exceptions, please tell the security team about
> them:
>
> https://wiki.debian.org/EmbeddedCodeCopies

I believe you mean exceptions of having only one copy of some code in
Debian.

What I talk about is exceptions to code being tracked from its real
source, which I believe is not tracked anywhere, nor treated as a
security matter in general - I believe it is not currently recognized as
a matter of concern at all, generally in Debian.  That is why I ask how
to improve on that (assuming others agree it is something we want to
improve on).

 - Jonas