Re: Making Debian ports less burdensome

Christian Seiler wrote:
> I have a question here: package A build-depends on libB. A has
> Arch: any or Arch: linux-any in debian/control. libB OTOH only
> has e.g. Arch: amd64 i386 mips in it's control file.

Concrete example:
https://bugs.debian.org/811554

There I suggested blacklisting known-bad arches rather whitelisting the
ones that are known to work.

> Disadvantage: listed as BD-Uninstallable on multiple
> architectures where libB isn't built

I think that is not a problem, unless the package has built before in
sid and is now out-of-date.

> explicitly list the architectures of libB also in A
> [...]
> Disadvantage: requires source upload to build on new arch
> once libB is ported

With 20+ arches, I don't expect package libB's maintainer could keep up
with new arches appearing that it could build and work on.  If
dependencies also kept such a list, I just don't think it would scale.

A down-side to an overly liberal Architectures list is, building a
package that doesn't work:  but if you don't build it, who will ever
test it (especially if many build-deps took the same attitude)?
Having tests run during package build or CI tests could help here.

Or, packages build accidentally, then a later version FTBFS.  That's why
I thought of auto-removals, but if porters more actively removed those I
think it would be helpful.

Regards,
--
Steven Chamberlain