Re: Making Debian ports less burdensome

Hi,

On 27.02.2016 05:43, Paul Wise wrote:

> I would have thought porters would be following the buildd/piuparts/CI
> pages for their port (where available) and thus would not need to be
> notified about arch-specific FTBFS or testing issues.

For the most part, maintainers are in a much better position initially.

A package failing on m68k can mean

 - it is broken on slow machines (runs into a timeout)
 - it requires lots of memory to build
 - it is broken on big-endian machines
 - it is broken on m68k specifically, because
   - the m68k toolchain has an issue
   - the package is lacking explicit support (assembler section?)
   - a bug in the package is exposed on m68k only
 - it is broken everywhere, so m68k breaks as well

I think it makes sense for a maintainer to make the initial call on
whether that is a problem to be handled by the porters, or an upstream
issue. If it's failing on one architecture only because the program
makes some unportable assumption, I believe that to be a bug in the package.

   Simon