RE: Debian package on Windows

Thanks you for your response, much appreciated

Very useful information we are going to digest…

eric

From: Josh Max [mailto:joshumax@hotmail.com]
Sent: Monday, February 22, 2016 11:38 AM
To: debian-devel@lists.debian.org
Cc: Eric Mittelette <ericmitt@microsoft.com>; jmtd@debian.org
Subject: RE: Debian package on Windows

IIRC, windowspackager.org created wpkg, which allows for the installation of format 2.0 debs on Windows (Of course, they're meant to contain Win32 binaries), It didn't really catch on though due to the nature of the design of Windows which made it a lot less feesable to integrate a package manager like dpkg into it (i.e. the registry, WoW subsystem, etc) and the fact that the Windows Installer Service handles a lot of these things already, albeit with a different form of functionality than dpkg and apt. -- Josh Max E657 F54A 65F5 A6A2 > Date: Mon, 22 Feb 2016 14:05:33 +0000 > From: jmtd@debian.org > To: debian-devel@lists.debian.org > CC: ericmitt@microsoft.com; debian-apache@lists.debian.org > Subject: Re: Debian package on Windows > > [ for -devel: this is a reply to a post to debian-apache, please see > https://lists.debian.org/debian-apache/2016/02/msg00004.html ] > > Hi Eric, > > I think your message would be better addressed to the debian-devel mailing > list, who I have copied in to this reply so that more Debian Developers are > aware of it. (There's also the Apt developer's mailing list at the > harder-to-discover deity@lists.debian.org who I have not copied in, as they are > likely all on -devel anyway) > > Personally (although I am not an Apt developer) I think it sounds like an > interesting idea, and there is some precedent as APT was the basis of the > "Fink" package management system for Apple Mac OS X. Not re-inventing the > wheel is a very good idea, lots of package management problems have been > discovered and solved with APT already (and it's sad to see things like Ruby > gems, Go packages etc. re-discover the very same problems over and over again) > > > -- > Jonathan Dowland >