Re: Making Debian ports less burdensome

On Thu, Feb 25, 2016 at 09:54:30PM +0100, John Paul Adrian Glaubitz wrote:
> On 02/25/2016 06:41 PM, Steven Chamberlain wrote:
> > Packages are auto-removed from testing when they are RC-buggy.
> > Could we do something similar in unstable, for Debian's ports?
>
> We have a testing distribution in debian-ports?

We don't, which is a shame.  This badly hinders stuff like porting d-i to a
-ports architecture or making an unofficial release (mostly because of not
knowing when to binNMU and in-archive binNMUs conflicting with yours).

But it appears like Steven meant official release archs.  And here, it would
practically mean declaring everything but i386/amd64 unimportant -- I'd say
that while something like half of maintainers are helpful towards porters, a
big part ignores every architecture they don't personally use, and a small
minority is outright hostile.  Let's keeps the current system for release
archs -- it doesn't force you to port new stuff but requires a manual action
(filing an arch-specific RM) to allow regressions.

--
A tit a day keeps the vet away.