Re: Are two Vcs-{Git|Svn|...} and Vcs-Browser fields sensible?

Hi!

On Tue, 2016-02-02 at 20:23:08 +0000, Simon McVittie wrote:
> On 02/02/16 17:38, Jonathan Dowland wrote:
> > I must say that I do not like this proposal. The current situation does result
> > in under-maintained packages requiring churn, but that's true for many aspects
> > of them, not least their policy version. It's a good indicator of which
> > packages need some attention.
>
> At the moment, lintian needs changes anyway whenever best-practice
> changes. Would it perhaps make sense to do the same transformations in
> dak - perhaps data-driven, with some regexes supplied by the Alioth or
> lintian maintainers - so that what is published in the Sources file for
> consumers is always the currently-preferred form?

That was exactly my thought. dak is already applying overrides for
Section and Priority, and adding Tag fields, etc, it might as well
fix other stuff.

> > I think it makes the
> > cognitive load of the control file larger. You have to know there are special
> > rules that exist for some URLs, but not all.

Exactly, I've to say I cannot agree more with Jonathan. And that while
having to adapt the whole archive for new URL changes is cumbersome,
introducing external magic would be worse, because downstreams or
casual users will not know what those URLs refer to, and we'll also
have to hardcode those magic rules in anything that tries to use those
URLs.

Thanks,
Guillem