Re: Statically linked library in libdevel packages? (Was: Status of teem package (packaging moved from svn to git))

On Thu, Jan 28, 2016 at 01:38:11PM +0000, Ian Jackson wrote:

> Static libraries are useful to users who want to build binaries and
> then ship them about without all the library clobber. [...]
>
> Overall I do think the costs of providing the static libraries, even
> where a shared library is also provided, are justifiable.

I agree with this. But what I don't understand is why, if the loader can
link an executable with shared libraries at run-time, the compiler can't
link those same shared libraries *into* the executable at compile time.
Is there a technical reason or is it just because "that's how it's
always been done"?

(I know there are tools to create a single executable from a dynamically
linked executable + the .so files it depends on, like
http:/statifier.sf.net, but they are kind of an ugly hack.)

      Guus Sliepen <guus@debian.org>