Re: Libre graphics could become the standard if we push right now

Bas Wijnen <wijnen@debian.org> writes:

> On Tue, Jan 19, 2016 at 06:57:43PM +0100, gaffa wrote:
> > It's an MIT license:
> >
> That's a fine license as far as the DFSG is concerned, but as long as
> they don't provide source, it's still not free software.

Indeed, as far as the DFSG is concerned, it needs to be applied to
*specific works* with their license conditions, not license texts in
isolation.

This case is a clear demonstration of why asking “does this license make
the work DFSG-free?” is no use absent the context of a specific work.

--
 \                “Every sentence I utter must be understood not as an |
  `\                      affirmation, but as a question.” —Niels Bohr |