Re: Going ahead with non-free-firmware

On Mon, Jan 11, 2016 at 09:34:07AM -0800, Nikolaus Rath wrote:
> On Jan 09 2016, Dominic Hargreaves <dom@earth.li> wrote:
> > I think the *policy* for this section should be firmware, as defined
> > as code not executing on the main CPU, or something like that.
>
> Uh, so intel-microcode is still out?

From that description, yes, and I appreciate that.

FWICT, nonfree-firmware aims to find a middle ground between

1) security issues with non-free system components, and
2) hardware being unusable without nonfree blobs.

Right now microcode does not fit in that middle ground from either 1)
(because no DMA to protect us) nor 2) (because things work without as
well). If, at some future point in time, CPUs do require microcode
updates, we might need to revisit this.

best regards
chrysn

--
A beginning is the time for taking the most delicate care that the
balances are correct.