Re: Libre graphics could become the standard if we push right now

On Thu, Jan 14, 2016 at 4:10 PM, Zlatan Todoric <zlatan@riseup.net> wrote:

On 01/14/2016 09:11 PM, Alberto Salvia Novella wrote:
> Nearly all compact Linux computers feasible for gaming are sold
> exclusively using NVIDIA graphics, and that company is hostile to libre
> software.
>
> So I think it is very important that we support AMD right now on what we
> can, and ask manufacturers to include AMD graphics in those products.

You do realize that AMD graphics need proprietary firmware to have
proper 3D acceleration without which you probably couldn't run any game
at all - so goodbye Libre graphics.

> Because of that I have started campaigning for it:
> http://steamcommunity.com/discussions/forum/11/458606248621316073/

Uh, excuse me...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GPUOpen
http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2015/12/amd-embraces-open-source-to-take-on-nvidias-gameworks/
http://www.tomshardware.com/news/amd-gpuopen-open-source-development,30750.html

It's time we started promoting AMD rather than Nvidia for Linux graphics.

--
Michael "TheZorch" Haney
https://sites.google.com/site/thezorch/

"You will not have our hatred, we choose love over fear! Our prayer: we refuse to become a monster to defeat a monster."
--Bono

Free Your PC, Open Your Mind www.ubuntu.com