Re: Debian package non-strict equal dependencies

On Tue, Jan 12, 2016 at 02:20:38PM +0100, Josselin Mouette wrote:
> Dmitrii Kashin <d.kashin@solarsecurity.ru> wrote:
> > If there's package A which depends on B and C, B depends on D (=
> > "2.0-43") and C depends on D (>= "2.0"). If there're packages D-2.0-43
> > and D-3.0 in the repository, then yum fails to resolve dependencies.
> >
> > I wonder what the apt's behavior is in such situation?
>
> In a Debian repository, there can be only one version of D at a time, so
> this cannot happen. If you want two versions of the same package in the
> same repository, they need to have different source and binary names
> (the name can be something like D-2.0 or D-3.0 of course).

While it is true that Debian's tools to manage repositories only allow a
single version of a package to exist within a given Packages file, it is
absolutely not true that you cannot generate a Debian package repository
that contains multiple versions of a package (within the same Packages
file). Many external repositories do this, and it seems to work just
fine; "apt-cache show <package>" on such repositories will list all the
various available versions.

I believe apt will deal with the above problem just fine. It would
install 2.0-43.

--
It is easy to love a country that is famous for chocolate and beer

  -- Barack Obama, speaking in Brussels, Belgium, 2014-03-26