Re: Re: Hardware detection

Hello and thank you for this in depth answer!

On 2016-01-07, Stefan Lippers-Hollmann wrote:
As someone working on Debian derived live systems since the earlier
kernel 2.4 days, I wonder why you think to need any of those on a
modern linux system at all?

I am probably reading old references.

I read through your reply twice. Just to clarify, a major part of the
project is targeting thin clients and older hardware. Project will most
commonly be an install and not a live cd.

linux >= 2.6, udev and kmod do a great job to probe all
auto-discoverable devices on their own. The things they miss either
can't be detected automatically or at least not in a safe way.

So I will drop the hardware discovery packages.

You haven't really revealed if the target of your pure blend is an
installed system or a live environment (the wiki page and your mail
slightly tend towards a live system, but neither provide a definitive
answer), but in neither case it should be much of a concern how to
detect hardware (as that's either solved by d-i or your live framework
in a desktop/ WM agnostic way) for you as blend maintainer. If you do,
you're quickly leaving the pure-blend domain and venture into the
derivatives land[3].

This really struck a cord...the issue of not leaving the pure-blend domain.
I will keep this in mind.

You'll probably find an audience with more specific knowledge in these
particular areas on the debian-derivatives@lists.debian.org and
debian-live@lists.debian.org lists.

I will note mailing lists for future reference.

Thanks again. I will need to go through your reply a couple of times to
catch the subtleties. It's a great reference and I appreciate you
taking the time to write it all out.

Steve