Re: support for merged /usr in Debian

On Tue, 5 Jan 2016 12:49:25 +0000
Ian Jackson <ijackson@chiark.greenend.org.uk> wrote:

> Simon Richter writes ("Re: support for merged /usr in Debian"):
> > However, we do have a huge installation base outside of that. In
> > most of my embedded systems projects, Debian has been the starting
> > point for the customized installation, simply because before
> > jessie, you could simply call "debootstrap --foreign" and get a
> > working root filesystem, where all you need to add is a kernel that
> > matches your hardware.
> >
> > This mechanism is already broken, and Debian's reputation has
> > suffered for it. We can bootstrap an oldstable system and upgrade
> > from there, but that is a cumbersome hack.
>
> Can this be fixed ?

I'm not sure what needs to be fixed. debootstrap --foreign + kernel
(+dtb) works just fine. It just depends on what gets enabled in the
kernel. There's some things to do if that is to be an NFS boot but
that's manageable too, depending on the kernel config. Debian kernels
don't have that config (and don't need it), but then if you've got a
Debian kernel, you have an initramfs which can be passed too.

Simon: where does this break for you?

--

Neil Williams