Re: support for merged /usr in Debian

Hello all.

On Tue, Jan 05, 2016 at 01:23:06AM +0100, Michael Biebl wrote:
> Am 05.01.2016 um 01:17 schrieb Adam Borowski:
> >>
> >> an initramfs is not mandatory as long as you don't have /usr on a
> >> separate partition.
> >> No initramfs + split /usr is not supported and has been broken for a while.
> >
> > I guess you meant "with systemd".
>
> Nice try, but no. Those issues are not specific to systemd.

Though systemd might be the only init system where developers are
actually nice enough to actually give you the warning, while in sysvinit
"with a big fat warning added"[1] has only come as far as being
discussed but not yet implemented.

Here's how another sysvinit maintainer summarized the situation[1]:
"/usr as a separate partition *and* no initramfs to mount it early is
[unfortunately] a really bad idea on jessie/sid, [...] (but warning the
user of the problem is likely to be a good idea)."
(Note: this was when jessie was testing and still not frozen.)

Unfortunately I think this is one of the last times the sysvinit
maintainers where heard from....

Ignorance really seems to be bliss. I wonder how long people on
debian-devel can go on pretending like everything is fine with sysvinit
while bullying others into doing the work to keep sysvinit on
life-support via reluctant NMUs. One day you might wake up to find
that those NMUs have stopped....

Regards,
Andreas Henriksson

[1]: https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=757083