Re: support for merged /usr in Debian

On 2016-01-04 23:41:40, Eric Valette wrote:
> On 04/01/2016 20:43, Michael Biebl wrote:
>
> >an initramfs is not mandatory as long as you don't have /usr on a
> >separate partition.
> >No initramfs + split /usr is not supported and has been broken for a while.
>
> Did you actually test it? It works for me TM on fairly simple setup...

That's the key point - "on a fairly simple setup". You don't know when
it will break - at which point the setup becomes complex enough that
some library actually needed lives in /usr instead of /, and you can't
boot anymore without going into rescue/emergency mode.

The whole point of UsrMerge is to _guarantee_ that booting works on
_all_ setups, and to reduce the maintenance burden at the same time.

regards,
iustin