Re: Re: support for merged /usr in Debian

On Sun, 2016-01-03 at 21:34 +0100, Eric Valette wrote:
> > > Ok, so it should warn that this setup will soon require to use an initramfs.
> > It is the Debian default, there is no need to do this.
>
> Being debian installer default does not mean any debian users
> 	1) really has any benefit of using it as explained,
> 	2) nor use it after initial installation,

An initramfs is mandatory if using the standard kernel packages, as I
think most people do.

> Others have expressed better than I did that initramfs by itself is evil
> and just does what / was supposed to do originally:
[...]

'Evil', really?  Sure, it takes more time to load and more time to run.
The implementation isn't exactly pretty.  But many systems do require
it because the kernel doesn't have the code to set up every different
kind of device that the root filesystem might live on.

Ben.

--
Ben Hutchings