Re: support for merged /usr in Debian

On 04/01/16 00:25, Marco d'Itri wrote:
> On Jan 03, Eric Valette <eric.valette@free.fr> wrote:
>
>> The debian installer should first loudly warn that having a separated / and
>> /usr may break things in the future but not forbid it. With that in place,
> This is not true: you just need to use an initramfs.
> "I have always done this in a different way" is not a valid use case,
> sorry.

Really, just because the use case isn't one you understand doesn't mean
it should be entirely ignored.  Sure there are corner cases that will
always be fragile, but that's not the issue here.  The issue at hand is
the provision of tooling that fundamentally violates the FHS by changing
the location of where binaries and libraries are located, and only
because of sloppy workmanship that has allowed packages in that will
break systems if we don't adopt these massive changes.

> And again, this is not related to supporting a merged /usr scheme.

That doesn't make sense given the subject you started this whole thread
with...

--
Daniel Reurich
Centurion Computer Technology (2005) Ltd.