Re: How shall I report a bug in the .deb packaging itself?

On Mon, Dec 21, 2015 at 04:10:31PM +0100, Alberto Salvia Novella wrote:
> Julian Andres Klode:
> > If A suggests B, and you install B in some way, you may have come to
> > rely on the fact that A is extended by B on your system.
> > Automatically removing B could thus cause an unexpected loss of
> > functionality.
>
> The point I do not understand is why after removing A, being A the only that
> recommends B from all the packages installed by the user, B is still
> considered needed.
>
> Is it because a previously installed package recommends B but didn't install
> it? Or because the new set up makes the dependency tree to recommend itself?

Cycles are also possible, but less likely. Usually it is a Suggests from
another existing package, as I have explained about three times already.

I also wrote I am thinking about adding some kind of apt revert command
that allows you to revert entries from apt's history.log, which would allow
you to undo install commands.

But that's sort-of-dangerous in many cases (everything involving an
upgrade), and most likely only works for the latest change.

--
Julian Andres Klode  - Debian Developer, Ubuntu Member

See http://wiki.debian.org/JulianAndresKlode and http://jak-linux.org/.

When replying, only quote what is necessary, and write each reply
directly below the part(s) it pertains to (`inline'). Thank you.