Re: service failures should not fail dpkg installation [was: Re: promoting virtualbox-dkms to virtualbox pre-depends]

Hi

On 24-09-15 18:21, Henrique de Moraes Holschuh wrote:
> On Thu, 24 Sep 2015, Marvin Renich wrote:
> What we really want is a "do not fail upgrade, BUT report that some services
> *that were previously running* failed to restart after the upgrade run".
>
> ESPECIALLY if you are going to take "unattended upgrades" seriously.
>
> Still, that would need some proper design work, and a reasonable amount of
> code to be written and tested.  Some of it will hook into the package
> system, some of it needs to interface to the services subsystem (systemd,
> sysvinit, others).

I would like to add there is more than just services. As the current
maintainer of dbconfig-common, it is more than clear to me that updates
of packages that require updates of (and even installs into) databases
(tables and/or their contents) also fall into this category. If for
whatever reason we can't connect to the database (which may even be on a
different system), there is currently not much that we can do except
register failure. I am currently of the opinion that if that happens,
the package upgrade DID fail, as the package probably won't be working
until the upgrade commands are applied with a working connection. (Just
before people start shouting, the way dbconfig-common handles this is by
asking the administrator if the problem should be fixed by retrying,
ignoring the problem or considering the issue a failure. In
noninteractive mode, the problem is ignored for installs and removals,
but not for upgrades.)

Paul