Re: promoting virtualbox-dkms to virtualbox pre-depends

Hi,

On Tue, 2015-09-22 at 16:40 +0000, Gianfranco Costamagna wrote:
> Hi  James!
>
> > This should work with a normal Depends relation (reread Policy 7.2).
> >
> > This commit helped since it prevented a circular dependency involving
> > the two packages:
> > https://anonscm.debian.org/cgit/pkg-virtualbox/virtualbox.git/commit/?id=68f57408199e304df63285910a360bc2f6ae2372
> >
> > So after that commit, a normal Depends from virtualbox to virtualbox
> > -dkms should be all that's nessesary.
>
> thanks for the useful pointer, I admit I get headache when I have to deal with such things :)
>
> however, according to the debdiff of the fix:
[...]
> prior the virtualbox-dkms | virtualbox-source was in Recommends, not in Depends.
>
> was it really a circular dependency?

No sorry I meant that if you had added a normal Depends without the
above commit, you would have created a circular dependency.

Before these changes, the dependency from virtualbox-dkms to virtualbox
was causing virtualbox to always be configured first.

James